Making a confidential report to Crime Stoppers is easy – just call our toll-free 1800 333 000 hotline or make a report online.
After you contact Crime Stoppers, our trained call takers create a report that captures the information you share and then send it to police for investigation.
Calls and online reports are not traced or identified in any way.
How you can help
You can help make Australia safer by sharing information in confidence with us about unsolved crimes or suspicious behaviour.
Information we would like to know includes:
- How you came across the information and how you know it to be true.
- Any information about past or current criminal activity.
- Any information about suspicious or unusual activities.
- The personal details of those involved – such as their names, home address, work address and vehicle registrations, if you know them.
- Details of the criminal activity or suspicious behaviour – date, time, place and so on.
- Details of the property – for example, how many people live there, if they have guard dogs or there are firearms and other weapons present.
- Details of any vehicles.
- Callers aren’t expected to put themselves at risk when our call taker asks for these details but all information provided helps police to make further enquiries.
Unfortunately, some of the information we receive doesn’t contain important facts – such as a suspect’s name, address or vehicle registration – and that often limits the ability of police to follow up.
What happens to your information?
Your Information Report helps Police build the bigger picture: analysis shows that even the smallest piece of information can be crucial.
Can you play a part and share what you know?
When to contact Crime Stoppers?
You can click on your relevant state or territory and submit an online report form any time, day or night.
Otherwise, call 1800 333 000 and speak with an operator or leave a message.
Why give us information?
You will be one of the many thousands of people who contact Crime Stoppers and confidentially share what they know each and every day of the year. You will actively contribute to a safer community by helping police solve crime and take criminals off the streets – all without you having to make a statement or go to court.
And aside from knowing you’ve done the right thing; you may also be eligible for a reward if your information delivers results – even if you have chosen to not say who you are!
Reporting in confidence
Regardless of whether you make a report online or by calling 1800 333 000, when it comes to dealing with us the focus is on what you know – not who you are.
Here are some of the measures that Crime Stoppers take right across Australia to protect you to the greatest extent:
- No caller ID on the call centre telephones (i.e. no phone number shown)
- Your telephone call is not recorded
Online Report Default
- We do not have access to personal data.
- We do not record your IP address, details of the computer you are using or your location.